Thursday, January 13, 2011

Huckleberry Finn


Huckleberry Finn is a book that I've always known of and have a vague idea about but really haven't given a proper, good read. I mean, it sits in the blazing light of all things truly American and is constantly referenced in popular culture, yet I haven't actually sat down and read it.

And I guess it was for two main reasons. 1. I'm not American. Not that this fact rules you out from reading it, but I guess the cultural differences meant I read books like Blinky Bill and Tomorrow When The War Began instead. 2. It's not everywhere. I haven't really, (until now) seen the book around. Never at least when I was younger and would have liked a book about a young boy on a grand adventure. But now I see the book everywhere in it's return to the Penguin Classic shelves and I want to know what it's all about.

The story, written by Mark Twain, takes place on the Mississippi river and the mysterious and often folk lore rich lands surrounding it. You follow the rough and often mishap filled adventured of Huck Finn, the boy that would give the Energiser Battery a run for its money. He's lovable, adventurous, somewhat insightful, and reminds everyone a bit of themselves. I know you'll love reading it as I will too. So grab a copy and get ready to discuss it at the beginning of February.

You can also pick up this great hardcopy edition, (pictured), although the older copies are nice too. Try and get one with illustrations. As Alice would say, 'What's the use of a book that's all words and dialogue and no pictures?'

No comments:

Post a Comment